How to set up a Minecraft Server

Description:

Minecraft is a super popular games among the geek community. So in this episode, I’ll show you how to set up your own Minecraft game server.

You can download the server software here:

If you have a mac, use the command line to launch the server software:
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

Here’s the contents of the server.properties file:
level-name=world
hellworld=false
spawn-monsters=true
online-mode=true
spawn-animals=true
max-players=10
server-ip=
pvp=true
level-seed=
server-port=25565
white-list=false

28 thoughts on “How to set up a Minecraft Server

• geekguy8 says:

The video was made for absolute beginners so they could run a vanilla Minecraft server, if he wanted to, he could’ve taught how to use Bukkit or Canary/hmod.

1. Gr72 says:

Thanks, but don’t you have to buy the game in order to actually play it. So a copy would be obsolete wouldn’t it be? any way, I’ve played Minecraft and it is beast. also, thank you for all of your videos, they have helped me learn loads of things. Thank You!!

• geekguy8 says:

The whitelist is a function if you want your server to be private. If you want to, add names of people you want to play in the .txt file and enable whitelisting in server.properties, the console, or in-game. :)

2. John says:

So to start – I am a mac user and also a minecraft fan. As I wanted to setup a minecraft server on mac I just couldn’t find a proper info on the subject. Until I came upon this site: http://minsrv.com – clearly writen, with some print screens – all neat and understandable :)

3. MARTIN says:

Guys minecraft updates once in a month so if u run a server u need to update it:) Which is impossible and if you want to run a big server u need lot of RAM!!! :))) :D

4. Pingback: Minecraft Invedit

5. King Telasword says:

@MARTIN, RAM? Hmph…wouldn’t be a problem for CaptainSparklez on Youtube. He’s got…like 24 GB of RAM and 2 TB of HDD space.

@yogi, You can’t. You’ll have to wait for someone to find out how to. For now, just play the game on your PS3.

6. Cman85234 says:

Hi tinkernut im one of your subscribers on youtube and i had a few questions about the minecraft servers. My parents wont let me have a server because it uses their ip address. i need to register my domain name for my website and be able to host it ( learned from your video) is their any way to make the server run through my website when i get it running.

Thanks